August 15, 2010

DA-DING DA-DING! BRAAAAKFAAAST!!!

I am not an impulsive person, but recently partook in something completely out of my element. I went on a mini-vacation! :)

Sunrise on E-84 at about 7 a.m.
That's right, yesterday former roomie Amanda and I began our adventure at a bright and early 5 a.m. Originally, we had planned to day trip it to Midland for some shopping, but after being made to feel like total losers for going to, "Midland? What are you gonna do in Midland??" we decided maybe we should be a bit more impulsive. So, DFW it was.

Granted, we were not super duper spontaneous considering we planned the trip the night before. Neither one of us are the "jump in, let's go," type, but a random trip six hours both ways in one day was good enough for us.

After about five hours of sleep and a gigantic cup of coffee, we departed the 806 around 6:30 a.m. with more than 300 miles to go. Random side note: The directing voice of TomTom is female. Gender identification issues, anyone?

316 miles and 4 hours, 53 minutes left to go!
We planned to go to the Grapevine Mills Mall to shop first, hop back in the car and drive the short little way to the Galleria for some high dollar browsing, then head back to Grapevine for a little more shopping and dinner at Rainforest Cafe. We had finished our coffees by the time Abilene emerged in front of us, so we stopped for energy drinks and switched drivers. Yes, that means I navigated to Metroplex -- successfully. We arrived at our first destination just before noon and didn't waste any time. Well, we didn't waste any more time than it took for me to eat a pretzel dog at Auntie Anne's. :)

We shopped hard, but we were efficient and I was very proud of us. A lot of the stores in Grapevine Mills are outlets or factory stores, so we got some good deals. I can never say no to Aerie's 5 for $25 undies, and as luck would have it, yesterday an extra two pairs were free! Yay, seven new pairs of panties!! We stuck our heads in the Abercrombie & Fitch outlet, and I wasn't expecting to find much, but I got out of there with a top and a pair of pants for just over $30. Score! Even better, the pants were a size 4 (and still a smidge on the loose side). Double score!

After browsing the stores in the Galleria that were far out of our spending range, we were exhausted and ready to go. But then we saw that jeans in Gap were buy one pair, get the second $20. Um, yes please?! Former roomie Amanda and I decided to split the difference and each walked away with a $70 pair of jeans for only $48.44. Ah-mazing.
Amanda browsing the menu at Saltgrass

By then, we were done. DONE! But our Rainforest Cafe reservations weren't until 7:30 and it was only 5:00. We made the mature decision to forego Rainforest Cafe for an early dinner at Saltgrass Steak House. Amanda's first time! I got a plain jane cheeseburger while she chose the pot roast. She let me steal a bite and her pot roast was so tender, I literally thought it was melting in my mouth. Highly recommended.

We didn't realize how tired we really were until we sat down to eat, so we definitely made the right decision, especially since we were still shooting to get all the way back to Lubbock. We departed Dallas around 6:30ish and stopped in Weatherford for more energy drinks. We trucked right along until Eastland until we decided it might be time to stop again for a driver switch, potty break and more energy drinks! (Final energy drink tally: Amanda, two servings of Monster and five servings of Red Bull. Jessica, one serving of Red Bull, six servings of Monster. Bad idea? Well... Trust me when I say, we needed it!)

At the gas station in Eastland, we came across this:

Coin operated Love Kit!
In the delirium of the evening, this was really funny. Did you know that for just $.75, you can get climax control lotion, Swedish massage oil, an exotic condom, and an Oriental exciter, whatever that is???

We stopped in Abilene again for gas with the goal of going the final three hours with no stops. Mission accomplished, thanks in part to 90s on 9, The Highway, The Pulse and a lot of good conversation and laughing about the events of the day. We probably each said, "I'm so proud of us!" ten times before the end of the trip.
A dress, two pairs of pants, five shirts, seven pairs of panties

I got in bed at 12:22 a.m. and slept like a rock. Today, I have shopping hangover and it keeps getting worse. I have to wash everything I bought yesterday, on top of all the laundry I already had to do. Five loads and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment