August 12, 2010

Placenta? Ewww......

All for the sake of beauty and research, I tried something I never thought I would... A Henna 'n' Placenta hair treatment.

Former roomie Amanda and I before placenta


Ok, it was only $.98 at Wal-Mart and according to the package, it will give you "manageability you never thought possible." So, that is how former roomie Amanda was able to talk me into doing this on the grounds that she do it with me.


The directions say to shampoo and towel dry hair, and then massage the entire packet into the hair. Sooo... That's what we did. The directions then say to warm the hair or wrap the hair in a warm towel for 10 minutes. Well, I don't have a washer and dryer in my new apartment, so we improvised and wrapped our hair up and then heated the towel with the blow dryer. That's ok. We didn't think it would make too much difference.


Former roomie Amanda has been having a few troubles with her hair lately -- dryness, lifelessness, etc. -- so she's been looking for a quick fix. My hair on the other hand, is usually pretty manageable. Sometimes it drives me nuts, but most of the time it does pretty well. So, that was where the true test would be. What would the treatment do to Amanda's increasingly annoying hair? What it do my mostly decent hair?


After heating our towels for 10 minutes, we rinsed the treatment out and then went to work drying. Amanda and I both have very thick hair, but hers is much thicker than mine is. As she was drying her hair, I could tell she was starting to get excited. "It's softer! I think it's working!" The first thing I noticed was how much thicker my hair felt. After rinsing, I had left it in the towel for about ten minutes, but it still took about six to eight minutes to blow dry. Normally, my hair only takes about three to four minutes to dry. When you're bent over halfway with your head between your knees blow drying your roots, that's a lot of extra time. And then, the most awful thing in the world happened.


My flat iron stopped working! :(


Yes, the little red light on my Chi straightener that I've had for four years this December wouldn't even flicker. Sad, sad day. It still won't come on this morning. I'm seriously heartbroken. So, I curled Amanda's hair and she was pleased with the results.

Then senses other than sight and touch took over... Smell.

I'm not sure about former roomie Amanda, but the odor of the treatment is still clinging to my hair this morning, so much that I'm either going to wash it again or smother it in so much hair spray, I smell like a granny. Since I'm lazy, it'll probably be the latter. But I have super sonic smell, so maybe it's just me that's so stronly affected by it.

Concensus is, if your hair isn't breaking off at the ends already don't waste the $.98. Yes, your hair will be softer. More manageable? I don't know about that. What I do know is, the smell of the treatment will be everywhere. Your hair, your towels, your hands. Everywhere.

Haha, I won't be doing this again.

Update: Former roomie Amanda let me know that she straightened her hair this morning and it was incredibly soft. She hadn't put anything else on it after our experiment last night. Just the phrase "I'm flat ironing my hair," makes me jealous, but maybe that'll be fixed later today. I just curled mine and it cooperated pretty well, but something tells me I'll like my hair better tomorrow after I've washed it one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment