December 18, 2011

Looking Forward...

...To a new year.


Today is December 18, 2011. Exactly one year after my college graduation.


A lot has changed in the last year.

I got a job, I got a new apartment, I made new friends, I got a dog, I got a haircut, I got a new dog, I took a mini-vacation, I lost some friends, I celebrated my grandmother's first birthday since being diagnosed with cancer, I got an iPhone like all the other cool kids, I became obsessed with Pinterest just like every one else, I took control of my health and fitness, I lost 15 pounds.


A lot has changed in the last year.


It is no secret I've always been self conscious about my weight and my body. Even when I weighed under 130 pounds, I thought I was fat and ugly. Part of that is because I'm a girl, but an even larger part of that is because I'm just me. I'm not perfect -- I have flaws -- but that doesn't mean I should be constantly belittling and degrading myself.


It's taken me a long time to realize the person I see in the mirror isn't the same person everyone else sees. So, now, I'm working on making myself more like the person everyone else sees.


In early June, I discovered a local fitness studio called FuSion Fitness. FuSion isn't your typical gym. I immediately became enamored with the atmosphere, the classes and everything about FuSion. I started regularly attending Turbo Kick classes and hope to become certified to teach in early 2012.


July 2011


At FuSion, there's a six week program called Bikini Boot Camp. I had been wanting to go and wanting to go, but never had the money. In October, I had a little left over and decided to give it a shot.


Throughout the six weeks, I could feel myself getting stronger. I lost eight pounds and 11.5 inches all over my body, I cut 21 seconds off my mile time (in the beginning, I couldn't even run the full mile without walking), planked for a whole 60 seconds and did more squats and burpees than I thought my body could ever handle. BUT I DID. 


Every day my body is getting stronger. My jeans are looser, my arms are firmer, my skin is clearer and my stomach is flatter.


I am making positive changes to my life and my body every single day. I'm not there yet, but I'll get there soon.


L-R: Buffie, Jasmina, Jessica, Analissa,
Magen, Holly, Leslie, Kaci, Ashlee
December 2011
In 2012, I have every intention of continuing these positive changes, as well as making a number of new ones. Earlier, I mentioned getting Turbo Kick certified. That's on my list, as well as completing another round of boot camp. I also hope to be another 15 pounds lighter by June. I'm setting my goals today. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment