October 28, 2010

Taylor Swift, Speak Now

As reported previously, I love Taylor Swift. Her new album, Speak Now, came out on Tuesday and I bought it that evening. I was totally excited all day long and I've been totally obsessed with it ever since.





It is quintessential Taylor Swift and that's why I love it. There isn't a single song on it that I don't like. Taylor Swift writes songs like I write blogs -- every song she writes comes from a situation that she experienced in her life at one point or another, an open book. That said, many of her songs are little digs at people that have hurt her in the past. "Drew" from Teardrops on My Guitar, Joe Jonas in Forever and Always and on the new album, it seems that Dear John is all about John Mayer.


It's a really good song, but I really hope he didn't steal her virtue. If he did, I'm going to very mad at him...but I'm also very anxious to hear what kind of musical retort he comes up with.


My favorite song on the album is the second track, Sparks Fly, and I just love it. It reminds a little bit of the title track, Fearless, from the last album. It's about a girl that meets a boy in a bar and is instantly captivated by him, even though she knows she shouldn't be. It makes me happy and it makes me want a man... LOL. :)


Drop everything now
Meet me in the pouring rain
Kiss me on the sidewalk, take away the pain
'Cause I see sparks fly
Whenever you smile


Get me with those green eyes, baby
As the lights go down
Something that'll haunt me when you're not around
'Cause I see sparks fly
Whever you smile


Another song on the album I like is Better Than Revenge. I always love it when the good girl wins, and this song is basically a "last word" to someone that took something from her. Rumor has it, the song is referring to Camilla Belle, who supposedly took Joe Jonas from Taylor. I am by no means in the celebrity gossip loop, but I think this may as well be confirmed. The song reminds of a county-pop version of Paramore's Misery Business from their 2007 album, Riot!, but it focuses more on the act of revenge, rather than the reward at the end (getting the boy back).



She's not a saint and she's not what you think
She's an actress, whoa
She's better known for the things that she does
On the mattress, whoa
Soon she's gonna find
That stealing other people's toys on the playground
Won't make you any friends
She should keep in mind,
She should keep in mind
There is nothing I do better than revenge

Sidenote: There are couple other songs on the album about Joe Jonas (and one about Taylor Lautner!), does this mean she isn't over him (them)?

Regardless, Speak Now is an amazing album and I recommend you go buy it RIGHT NOW.

Photo:  
http://www.4tnz.com/content/taylor-swifts-new-album-cover-looks-awfully-familiar;

No comments:

Post a Comment