October 15, 2010

Mama Told Me (Not to Come)

Well, actually she didn't, but I'm listening to Three Dog Night right now.


Life is rough and stressful. School is driving me nuts. I need a job. I went to a career fair yesterday and networked with some peeps, so maybe something will come from that. I really like Lubbock and I would like to stay here, but I'll leave if I'm forced. :(


I've always been one to have a plan for my life and right now I don't. I am in a state of constant freak-out due to that. Grad school? Full-time job? Paid internship? What about benefits?


I have a job interview on Tuesday, so that's encouraging. But...it's in sales and my degree will be in journalism. I have this line that I use informing employers with a communications degree that you can really do anything, but I don't really know how true that is. Surely, I could LEARN to do anything, but not if someone won't give me the opportunity to learn. And with a slim number of jobs available in the area for journalists, I'm having to try out opportunities in other areas.


Graduating college is turning out to be nothing like I expected. I don't even know what I expected, but this isn't it. Don't ever let anyone tell you that having a college degree automatically gets you a job. Yes, it helps A LOT, but it is no guarantee. Especially if your degree field is a "dying profession," or something to that effect.


On Monday, I will be exactly two months away from graduating.

No comments:

Post a Comment