November 20, 2010

I Need A Place For My Books

My lonely little tree
Last night, I put up my first little Christmas tree that is my very own. Well, I guess it really isn't my very own, it's a hand-me-down, but still. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought $8.09 worth of ornaments. That would be one strand of beads and twelve sparkly balls. The tree has fiber optic lights (which has a lot to do with why it's not my favorite), so buying more lights was unnecessary. The lights are multi-colored and I'm just not a fan; I'd rather have all my lights in one color.

Anyway, I have a very small apartment, which posed quite the problem for my small tree. I had to do some super maneuvering just to get the box out of the small closet. "Where am I going to put this tree?" I thought. After contemplating for hours, or more like ten minutes, I decided to put the tree against the wall next to the couch. Well, that was a problem because there was already a bookshelf there. "I guess I can move the bookshelf to the other wall for now," I thought.

Let me just tell a little side story about this particular bookshelf. It came from Wal-Mart, as most of my furniture did, so the quality was immediately questionable. Upon moving into my tiny apartment, we discovered this bookshelf didn't come with an Allen wrench. Apparently, that's a problem. The sides of my little bookcase were never flush with the shelves in the middle. Uno problemo!

I started moving the bookshelf and because I'm lazy and was moving it all of three feet, I didn't take any of the books out. I got it about halfway to where it should be and then Back in Black by AC/DC starts ringing through my ears. My dad is calling.

Lesson learned: Don't try to move an already rickety bookcase while talking to Dad on the phone. It's a two hand task. Not one-and-a-half while trying to balance the phone on your shoulder. If the latter occurs, this is what happens...


My books scattered across the floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment