August 23, 2010

Was That My Life?

Today is the first day of school for four of my younger brothers and my baby sister. Seth and Kell are seniors, Jared is a freshman, Hunter is a 6th grader and Jada is starting Pre-K. I'm thankful that Jake is only 2 and still too young for school. :(


Seth, Hunter, Me, Jared, Kell circa 2001
I talked to my mom on the phone earlier and I thought she was going to cry. "My baby is a senior! My curly headed baby is a senior! I still remember taking you to school up there and him peeing off the slide!" Um... Ok, Mom, that story might embarrass him, so keep that one hush-hush.


Jada, at a "tea party." I'm told we look alike.
I think Jada was starting to get excited for school. She's going to legit Pre-K. All of the Pre-Ks are held in one of the old elementaries in Snyder and then the next year, they all go to the swanky new school a few blocks over!


I asked her on Friday what she wanted to be when she grew up, and she matter-of-factly replied, "A princess." At that, my grandmother asked her, "Well, what do princesses do?" "Be beautiful!" Jada said. Well, Jada, then I want to be a princess too. That sounds like the ideal job.


Not to sound narcissistic, but it's hard for me to imagine time moving forward when I'm not around. For example, even though students that graduated the year after I did live literally down the street from me now, sometimes I still think they're in high school and they're still juniors. Because that's what they were when I left them.


That said, I can't believe that my siblings are growing up so fast and I'm not around to see most of it. That breaks my heart! I want them to all stay small and precious forever and never get older.

1 comment:

  1. This almost made me cry. In the way that you think of your high school friends as juniors...you are still the 5th grader I babysat so many years ago!! I guess you always will be!

    ReplyDelete